Belmont Stakes is the last leg of the Triple Crown™ and is held every year in June at Belmont Park in Elmont, New York. The Triple Crown™ is the most prestigious honor that every horse racing team strives to achieve. People from all over the world come to the Belmont Stakes to witness history!
Here are some things you may not know about Belmont Stakes:
- Belmont Stakes is the longest of the three Triple Crown™ legs with a distance of one and a half miles. Therefore, this race is known as “The Test of the Champion” and because of this, speed horses struggle to go the distance.
- The official song for the Belmont Stakes is “New York, New York” by the legendary Frank Sinatra. In 2010, in an effort to appeal to a younger audience, the song was changed to Jay-Z’s “Empire State of Mind” but was quickly changed back to Sinatra’s favored song.
- In 2012 the official drink of the Belmont Stakes became the Belmont Jewel which you can make yourself!
- 1 ½ ounces of Woodford Reserve Bourbon
- 2 ounces of lemonade
- 1 ounce of pomegranate juice
- Orange zest
- Garnish with an orange
- Very few traditions have stuck since the inaugural race at Belmont Park, but one thing that has is the act of draping the winning horse with a large blanket of White Carnations. The blanket is made up for 700 carnations and weighs about 40lbs!
- For the first 54 years the Belmont Stakes was set up to be contested in a clockwise direction which is how most European races run. It wasn’t until 1921 that they finally ran the race counter-clockwise like most American races.
- Some of the best names of past Belmont Stakes winners include:
- Peter Pan in 1907
- Lemon Drop Kid in 1999
- Crème Fraiche in 1985
- Luke McLuke in 1914
- Tabasco Cat in 1994
- BONUS: The best way to attend Belmont Stakes is through Belmont Experiences to
Be There for All the Fun at the Belmont Stakes in 2018
Belmont Experiences is the Official Experience Provider for the Belmont Stakes, offering a variety of premium ticket packages that will be sure to meet all of your needs. Packages come complete with VIP hospitality in The Diamond Room at The North Shore Terrace, the option to add accommodations and other insiders extras you cannot obtain anywhere else! Click below for more information: