The final leg of the Triple Crown™, the “Test of the Champion”, the Belmont Stakes. Over the years, Belmont Park has hosted thousands of horse racing fans, numerous legendary jockeys, trainers and horses, and the few lucky enough to call themselves Triple Crown™ winners. With the storied history of the Belmont Stakes, many know the basics, but we are here to tell you a different story. Here are some fast facts to get you ready to ahead the Belmont Stakes next June!
- Where did the name Belmont come from? August Belmont, a leading New York business man, who was the pioneering chairman of The Jockey Club.
- The Belmont Stakes originally took after English horse races running clockwise, but since 1921 has been run counterclockwise.
- The Belmont, started in 1867, is the fourth-oldest stakes race in North America, following the Phoenix Stakes (1831), Queen’s Plate (1860) and the Travers at Saratoga (1864).
- The first jockey to win back-to-back Belmont Stakes’ was James Rowe with Joe Daniels in 1872 and Springbok in 1873.
- Post position #1 has produced the most Belmont Stakes winners, 23 coming from stall one in total.
- The winning horse is draped in white carnations, representing love and luck. The blanket takes over 5 hours to create, with over 700 carnations and weighing in around 40 pounds.
- The trophy presented to the winner is a Tiffany’s made silver bowl with a cover. Atop of the bowl is a figure of Fenian, winner of the third running of the Belmont Stakes, and the bowl is supported with three figures of horses representing Eclipse, Herod and Matchem.
- Jim McLaughlin and Eddie Arcaro sit at the top for most wins, 6, as a jockey at the Belmont Stakes.
- Secretariat staked his claim in Belmont history with the largest winning margin at 31 lengths and fastest winning time of 2:24 in 1973.
- There have been 28 horses who entered the Belmont Stakes with hopes of Triple Crown™ victory, but only 12 have been successfully. The last Triple Crown™ victor was American Pharoah in 2015.
Attend the 2018 Belmont Stakes!
Book your spot to the 2018 race! With premium access, vantage points and exclusive hospitality, Belmont Experiences offers you an unmatched experience. Curious to know what The Diamond Room at North Shore Terrace is all about and/or what seating we offer? Click below!